Blue Plaques etc.

Old Hall Blue Plaque 2

Old Hall

Built c1864 by Peter Acklam, a prominent local Quaker, The Hall is Grade II Listed.

It was a private house and farm until 1910 when it became a day and boarding school for girls and boys and remained in this use until 1940.

Requisitioned by the military during WWII the hall for a time housed soldiers of the Free French Army.

Between 1950 and 1954 part of the hall was the home of Hornsea Pottery, prior to their move to the old Brick & Tile Works on Marlborough Avenue.


 No.1 Bank Terrace,

.J R R Tolkein,  author of Lord of the Rings, was posted to Hornsea Musketry Camp (Rolston Camp) in April of 1917 and his wife Edith together with her cousin Jenny Grove moved to Hornsea to be near to him and lodged at 1 Bank Terrace. They remained there until early June 1917.


Bettison’s Folly ( not a blue plaque but has an information board)


Willliam Bettison was a Hull Master Brewer and one of the first of a great many Hull businessmen to settle in Hornsea in about 1838.

At this time, the only way to travel to and from Hull was by horse and carriage.

The popular story is that he had the tower built in 1844 so that his son could go up to the top with a telescope and watch for his carriage coming down Southorpe Hill on the Hull Road, and immediately it was seen, to warn the servants so that his dinner could be waiting for him on the table when he arrived home. The tower was faced in “over fired” treacle bricks.

Bettison was not a popular man locally and was much disliked by the townspeople, apparently.

Next door to him on Newbegin lived the Congregational Minister whose Sailor son, home on leave, climbed up the outside of the tower one night and hung a placard saying “Bettison’s Folly” from the top of the tower.

The tower has been known as Bettison’s Folly since that time

It has been said that the tower cost £300 to build, and that the builder was never paid by Bettison for his work.

The tower is unique, and is the only folly in the country with a full-length extending flagpole. It is a grade II listed building.


Hornsea Museum


Burns Farm 2     Burns Farm 1

Built in the late 16th Century, but largely rebuilt in the late 18th Century, the building was originally a working farm run for many generations by the Burn Family.

The interior retains several early features including the large inglenook fireplace in the kitchen. It is a grade II listed building.

In 1975 the building was bought by Local Doctor Stuart Walker, and restored by him and his wife before being turned into the Museum, and opening to the general public in 1978.


The Floral Hall


Floral Hall Plaque

Hornsea Floral Hall was built as an entertainment centre on the seafront in 1913.

The original building comprised only the central part of the existing building and was constructed mainly of glass. With no heating installed, the hall was originally only used during the summer.

Because of the glass construction, the lights inside were visible for a considerable distance and in September of 1915 the hall was blacked out by covering the glass roof with black paint.

In 1926/27 the hall was extended and the existing café building added, and the building has been in regular use as an entertainments and multi-use venue since then.


White Cottage


This cobble cottage is Grade II listed and was built in the 18th century.

In the 1930’s it was the home of Flight Lieutenant Reginald Simms, and it was regularly visited by Aircraftsman J H Ross, also known as T E Shaw (T E Lawrence of Arabia).

At this time Ross was posted to 1104 Marine Craft Unit at Bridlington and was running air-sea rescue launches from the harbour there.

7 Wilton Terrace


wilton terrace

All of the houses of Wilton Terrace were constructed c1868 on behalf of Joseph Armytage Wade. No 7 is the only 3 storey house in the terrace.

At some time before 1881 Thomas James Smith, the founder of Hull company T J Smith, a company mainly dealing in Cod Liver Oil lived here with his sister Amelia Anne Smith.

He commuted daily to Hull by train, and the house was named “Half Hour House” after the time it took the express businessmen’s train to complete the journey..

A regular visitor to the house was Horatio Nelson Smith who was their nephew.

Shortly before his death in 1896 Thomas took Horatio into partnership and the medical giant Smith & Nephew was born. Amelia continued to live here until her own death in 1915.


Hornsea Mere information Boards.DSC00161 FB

Many people do not realise that Hornsea Mere has a long history connected with aviation, between the first flight of a floatplane in June 1913, through it’s use as a WW1 Royal Naval Air Service Base, and its occasional use afterwards for flying boats.            The last use being an unauthorised landing by a small flying boat in December 1944.

Hornsea Civic Society installed this set of 3 information boards on Kirkholme Point at the Mere in December 2018. Each board details a separate part of the story.


Hornsea Bridge Information Board

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

Our latest information board was installed early in 2020 on the Trans Pennine Trail (Hornsea Rail Trail) at the site of the old Hornsea Railway Bridge which stood here, at the eastern end of the station, and which gave its name to both the station and this area.